Amazon presents an incredibly powerful platform to grow and establish a thriving online business.
However, to sell more, you need to make sure that your product gets in front of more potential shoppers. In other words, you need to find a way to have high Amazon ranking in organic search results.
Amazon is notoriously quiet about how its algorithm works. However, one thing we know for sure—when deciding how to rank products organically, Amazon takes your Best Seller Rank into account.
Confused between the terms Best Seller Rank and Product Rank? There's no need to be! At Ampd, we are always by your side to help you achieve the ultimate ecommerce success. In this article, we are going to walk you through the different terms and how you can climb the Amazon ranking ladder.
What is Amazon Best Seller Rank?
Amazon Best Seller Rank, also commonly known as “Amazon Sales Rank,” is a number between one and 1,000,000 (or even higher for some product categories) that is assigned automatically to each of your products. This number is intended to describe how well your product is selling relatively to other similar products in your category—so, if your Amazon Best Seller Rank is #1, that means that your product is selling the best.
You can find your Amazon Sales Rank directly on the product page. Just scroll down through the “Product information” section, and you will see your products’ Best Seller Rank for the specific product category, as well as for the border product department.
If you become the best seller in your product category, you will also receive the “Best Seller” orange tag that will appear in the search results, as well as at the top of your product listing.
Why is Amazon Best Seller Rank Important?
Similarly to Google, Amazon has its own algorithm for ranking products in search results. While the precise algorithm was never revealed, Amazon has confirmed that the Best Seller Rank is taken into account when determining the organic position of a product.
It makes sense. When someone is searching for a product, Amazon wants to show them the ones that sell best. This is how they make money!
What is Amazon Product Rank?
Amazon Product Rank, or the organic rank of your Amazon product, refers to the position of your product in the organic search results. There is no single ranking number, as your product could rank differently for different keywords
The Product Rank is determined by Amazon’s A9 product search algorithm, which works quite differently from Google's. When a buyer searches for a specific product on Amazon, the results are delivered through a two-step process. First of all, the relevant products are pulled from the Amazon catalogue. Then, they are ranked according to relevancy.
The goal of Amazon is to maximize their revenue per customer. As such, they continuously evaluate and update their algorithm to deliver the most relevant results.
Why is Amazon Product Rank Important?
If you have a product page on Amazon, you want it to be found by potential buyers, similarly to the way you would want your website to show up on the first page of search results pages for target keywords. Failure to optimize your product listings and achieve high ranking positions will result in less traffic and fewer sales.
While it can be hard to get the “Best Seller” designation, you can rank for easier long-tail keywords and receive additional exposure through that. More visibility means more sales, and more sales mean higher Amazon Best Sellers Ranking, which, in turn, translates into higher organic positions.
It is also a good idea to complement your Amazon SEO efforts with driving external traffic through Google Ads with the help of Ampd’s ad automation toolkit. However, it is important to remember that PPC and SEO should go hand-in-hand, and you cannot replace one with another.
Simple Tips for Improving Amazon Ranking
The truth is, Amazon Best Seller Rank goes hand-in-hand with the organic Product Rank. Amazon Sales Rank depends largely on having consistent daily sales, which can be achieved by putting the effort into your listing SEO and improving search results positions.
Here are a few tips for improving all types of Amazon rankings:
- Have a flawless product title. The first thing your shoppers notice is the product title. Not only should it be optimized according to the best practices of SEO, but you need to make sure that it matches what shoppers are looking for and instantly grabs their attention.
- Optimize product description. The key to effective product description is to make your product sound interesting. Highlight any competitive differentiators and the key pain points the product is intended to solve. And, of course, don’t forget to include the target keywords.
- Use top-notch product photography. Product photography is the true attention-grabber, and you should use this chance to showcase your product in the best light possible. The main image should include the product in full against a white background, without any additional graphics or text.
- Set competitive prices. Price can become a real deal-breaker. If your product is priced considerably higher than other similar products, you will miss out on sales, and your Amazon Best Seller Rank will suffer.
- Get more reviews. Everyone knows that excellent Amazon reviews are the ultimate secret to more sales (and, naturally, a higher Amazon Sales Rank). You can include a note with your product that asks for reviews or use a “Request a Review” button in your Seller Central.
- Offer Amazon Prime. There are over 150 million Amazon Prime members around the world, and many of them apply the “Amazon Prime” filter every time they browse the marketplace. If your product isn’t Prime-eligible, you are going to miss out on many sales.
- Promote your Amazon listing. You can improve your Amazon Best Seller Rank by driving more traffic and sales to your product page. You can do this by running limited-time sales events, offering coupons, using Sponsored Products ads, or driving external traffic through Google Ads. With Ampd, you can get started with Google Ads quickly and efficiently to improve your visibility on Amazon, drive more sales, and climb up the ranking ladder.
Improve Your Amazon Ranking and Visibility with Ampd
External traffic is among the key drivers behind Amazon’s ranking algorithm, and you can improve both Amazon Best Seller Rank and Product Rank by implementing an effective Google Ads campaign.
Ampd can take care of setting up and effectively managing Google Ads campaigns for you to drive more traffic, promote more sales, and take your business to the next level. Get ampd.