In the world of e-commerce, getting the top Amazon product ranking is key to winning big. It's your ticket to being seen by millions of shoppers and, ultimately, making more sales. As an Amazon seller, understanding how Amazon's ranking system works and using smart tactics can mean the difference between standing tall or fading into the background amid fierce competition.
In this blog post, we're diving deep into the strategies and secrets that can help you not only understand but also conquer Amazon's ranking system. We'll share valuable insights and strategies to help boost your visibility and skyrocket sales. We'll also explore the power of omnichannel marketing in broadening your customer base and attracting external traffic to your Amazon store. So, if you're ready to boost your Amazon game and claim your spot at the top, keep reading!
What is Amazon Product Rank?
Amazon Product Rank, also known as organic rank, is a dynamic metric that shows where your product stands in the organic search results on Amazon's platform. There is no single ranking number since the product rank can vary for different keywords and search queries. Amazon Product Rank is determined by Amazon's advanced A9 product search algorithm, which operates in a unique manner compared to search engines like Google.
The process of ranking products on Amazon involves two steps:
Step 1. Product Selection: The A9 algorithm begins by searching through Amazon's extensive product catalog to find items that are relevant to the user's search query. This selection process takes into account various factors, such as product titles, descriptions, and backend keywords.
Step 2. Ranking by Relevancy: Once the algorithm identifies the relevant products, it ranks them based on their perceived relevance to the user's search. This assessment considers factors like customer behavior, sales history, and product details. Products that closely align with what the algorithm deems relevant to the user's query are displayed higher in the search results.
It's important to keep in mind that Amazon's main goal is to enhance the customer experience. As a result, the A9 algorithm is continuously evolving and adapting to provide users with the most relevant and attractive product listings.
Amazon Product Ranking vs. Best Sellers Rank
While Amazon Product Rank is a dynamic metric that shows the position of a product in the organic search results for a particular keyword, Best Seller Rank (BSR) is a dynamic metric that shows how well a product is selling in a particular category on Amazon. Check out this article to read more about the differences between these two metrics.
Amazon BSR is a numerical ranking that Amazon assigns to each product listed on its marketplace. It ranges from one to 1,000,000 or higher, depending on the product category. This ranking is automatically generated by Amazon's algorithms and serves as an indicator of how well a product is selling compared to others within the same category. It essentially gives us a quick glimpse into a product's popularity and sales performance.
Here's how Amazon Best Seller Rank works:
- Relative Sales Performance: BSR is a relative measure, which means it gives you an idea of how well a particular product is performing compared to others in the same category. For instance, if your product has a BSR of #1, it shows that it is currently the best-selling product in its category.
- Location of BSR: To find the Amazon Best Seller Rank for a product, simply visit its product page. You'll find the BSR displayed in the "Product information" section. Amazon provides both the rank within the specific product category and, in some cases, within the broader product department.
- Best Seller Tag: When your product becomes a best seller in its category, Amazon rewards it with an eye-catching orange "Best Seller" tag. This tag not only shows up on the product's listing page but also in Amazon's search results, giving it a boost in visibility and credibility.
BSR is a valuable metric for both sellers and shoppers on Amazon. Sellers find it incredibly useful to assess the performance of their products and evaluate their competitiveness in the marketplace.
Shoppers often rely on BSR to make informed purchase decisions, as a lower rank typically indicates higher sales and popularity. It's crucial to remember that BSR can change frequently, even on an hourly basis, depending on how well the product is selling. So, it gives us a glimpse into a product's recent success.
Why is Ranking Products on Amazon Important for Your Store?
Amazon Product Rank is of paramount importance to sellers on the platform for these 4 compelling reasons:
- Visibility and Traffic: Just like a website aims to appear on the first page of search engine results, striving for high product rankings is the name of the game. The higher your product's rank, the more likely it is to be seen by potential buyers. Products appearing on the first page of search results typically receive the lion's share of clicks and traffic. A low-ranking product, on the other hand, is likely to be overlooked by shoppers.
- Sales Performance: The ultimate goal for any seller is to boost sales. A higher Amazon Product Rank often translates to increased sales. When your product is well-optimized and ranks prominently, it captures the attention of shoppers actively seeking that type of product. This visibility can lead to more conversions and revenue.
- Keyword Ranking: Amazon's ranking algorithms consider a variety of factors, including keywords. Products that rank well for specific, relevant keywords are more likely to appear in search results when shoppers use those keywords. Get Ampd to optimize your product listings for high-performing keywords that will boost your Amazon Product Rank.
- Organic Positioning: A higher Amazon Product Rank often corresponds to improved organic positioning within search results. This means that your product is more likely to appear near the top of search results without the need for paid advertising. Achieving a strong organic presence can lead to sustained sales growth.
Ultimately, Amazon Product Rank plays a vital role in the success of your products on the platform. It has a direct impact on visibility, credibility, and, most importantly, your sales performance. Sellers who have a deep understanding of and optimize for Amazon Product Rank are in a better position to thrive in the fiercely competitive Amazon marketplace.
How to Improve Your Amazon Product Rank
Here are some key tips to boost the ranking of your products on Amazon:
- Optimize your product title and make sure to include relevant keywords that shoppers are likely to search for.
- Enhance your product description to emphasize your product's unique selling points and address customer pain points.
- Invest in quality photography since high-quality product images attract shoppers.
- Encourage customers to leave reviews through Amazon's "Request a Review" feature in Seller Central to build trust and credibility.
- Offer Amazon Prime since many customers filter their searches to show Prime-eligible products only.
- Increase traffic and boost sales for your Amazon listing by implementing a range of promotional strategies, including:
- Limited-Time Sales Events: Create urgency and excitement by running time-limited promotions.
- Coupons: Offer discounts or coupons to incentivize purchases.
- Sponsored Products: Use Amazon's advertising platform to boost visibility and drive targeted traffic.
- External Traffic: Consider leveraging external sources like Google Ads to direct potential customers to your Amazon listing.
Omnichannel Marketing: Going Beyond Amazon’s Walls
Blending platforms through an omnichannel approach lets you capture potential customers during their Google research and guide them toward purchasing on Amazon. By combining Amazon and Google Ads, you tap into diverse customer preferences:
- Maximizing Reach: Amazon is powerful, but adding Google Ads broadens your audience. Capture users in the middle of funnel beyond Amazon's boundaries.
- Boosting Conversions: Shoppers vary. Some start on Amazon, others on Google. Be present on both platforms to provide a seamless experience, increasing your potential for traffic and sales.
Outrank Your Competitors with Google Ads and Ampd
External traffic plays an important role in Amazon's ranking algorithm. By implementing a well-executed Google Ads campaign, you can effectively improve your Amazon Product Rank and secure the top spot. Sign up with Ampd today and we'll handle the setup and management of your Google Ads campaigns.
Ampd takes care of everything - from comprehensive reporting covering individual keyword performance, TACoS, impression share, and an overview of your brand portfolio all in a single user-friendly hub. Boost your market share, organic revenue, and ROI when you book a demo with Ampd today.